Our Church's History
The history of the Hueytown First United Methodist church is a story of faith and perseverance, beginning with a group of 23 dedicated Methodists meeting October 31, 1926 at the new high school auditorium in Hueytown, an all Baptist community at that time.
The official organization was completed in April 22, 1927. Worship services and Sunday School were held in various homes, sometimes under trees in the summer time.
Later that summer a small brick house was completed on a lot donated by the West Jefferson Land Company. This house, in the Crest, served as the church and parsonage for Hueytown's Methodist Episcopal Church South and continued to serve as the church's parsonage for a number of years.
In 1937 the members moved to the newly constructed basement of their proposed church building on the corner of High School Road and Sunset Drive. The first service was held September 12, 1937. For a year they faithfully met here on sawdust floors, singing and praising God.
The Hueytown First United Methodist Church, as it is now, is the result of the love, loyalty and endurance of hundreds of believers of the last several generations. At present we have approximately eleven families who represent four generations of active membership. From the 23 members in 1927 we have grown in membership and stature. We are over 90 years old and during the past ninety+ years, we have grown in spirit, in numbers and in size under the leadership of 28 ministers. What began as a "Faithful Beginning" out of the sawdust has become a ministry serving not only the Hueytown community, but reaching out to the far ends of the world.
Here is a brief synopsis of the chronological history of our church. May it give you an idea of the love and devotion that has and continues to make our church so special.
- 1927 - Methodist Episcopal Church South of Hueytown officially organized. Church/parsonage built in Crest.
- 1937 - Original sanctuary basement built.
- 1940 - Original sanctuary completed.
- 1950 - First education building completed
- 1955 - Incorporated as First Methodist Church, Hueytown, Inc. Jr./Youth house and parsonage purchased-Crest.
- 1957 - Second education addition joined to Jr./Youth house.
- 1959 - Began sponsorship of Boy Scouts of America Troop 322.
- 1964 - Capri Circle parsonage purchased.
- 1966 - Added Cub Scout Pack 322 to our Scouting Ministry.
- 1968 - Became First United Methodist Church of Hueytown.
- 1970 - New sanctuary addition completed.
- 1985 - SonRise Christian Vocal Band organized.
- 1986 - Day Care Center begun.
- 1987 - Teresa Avenue parsonage built.
- 1989 - Senior Citizen "Nifty Over Fifty" organized.
- 1990 - Camp Fire Boys & Girls Program organized.
- 1991 - Fellowship Hall/education building completed.
- 1996 - Installation of new pipe organ completed.
- 1996 - Hand bell choir organized.
- 2017 - Thrive modern worship service started in partnership with North Alabama Conference New Church Development.
Hueytown First UMC Ministers
- W. Nelson Guthrie: 1927-1928
- W. M. Peacock: 1928-1931
- F. L. Gillespie: 1931-1932
- R. G. Pugh: 1932-1933
- G. E. Wallace: 1933-1935
- L. D. Tyson: 1935-1939
- J. F. Sturdivant: 1939-1941
- H. L. Spradley: 1941-1943
- Wm. W. Scott: 1943-1947
- O. G. Waid: 1947-1949
- F. K. Gamble: 1949-1950
- Wm. R. Blount: 1950-1954
- J. L. Williamson: 1954-1955
- Herschel T. Hamner: 1955-1958
- Thomas F. Stevenson: 1958-1964
- W. C. Nolen: 1964-1965
- Travis Warlick: 1965-1968
- Eugene Atkins: 1968-1972
- G. W. "Buddy" Hayes: 1972-1978
- Wayne Graham: 1978-1981
- Joe Higginbotham: 1981-1984
- Phillip Huckaby: 1984-1988
- Steve Screws: 1988-1991
- Jack Hendricks: 1991-1996
- John M. Simmons: 1996-2004
- M. David Murray: 2004-2006
- James A. "Al" Geise: 2007-2014
- Dean Bowers: 2014-2018
- John Verciglio: Present
Hueytown First UMC Charter Members
- Mr. & Mrs. E. M. Caller
- Edward Caller
- Margaret Caller Miles
- Mrs. George Chartner
- Mr. & Mrs. W. R. Copeland
- Bessie Copeland Miles
- Charles Copeland
- Mr. & Mrs. R. E. Deese
- Mr. & Mrs. D. T. Foust
- Edward Foust
- Talmadge Foust
- Mr. & Mrs. W. P. Parsons
- Eunice Roper Cohorst
- Stella Roper
- Jack Schuler
- Major Watts
- Martha Watts
- Mrs. J. O. Winters
- Rev. Nelson Guthrie, Pastor